Skip to main content

Our Homeschooling Plan for the first week of October 2016

Isabelle and I will be visiting Italy, France, Sri Lanka, England, Jamaica, and Vermont this week as we gather ingredients for our apple pie as we read "How to make an Apple Pie and See the World"!


Of course we'll locate those locations on our world and US maps and read about their cultures and languages. We're learning Italian this year. I will have to see how many of the other languages we can find on Duolingo. In our language studies, we'll touch on humor in writing, repetition, and pantomime. In art studies, we'll learn about drawing street scenes, humor in art, and contrast. For math, in addition to the math learning loop I am setting up away from our Five in a Row studies, we'll see subtraction in action and learn about liquid and dry measure. And finally in science, we'll play with salt and evaporation and learn more about fresh food for health.


In my own reading last week, I came across a teaching method called looping. In the example, the student had about 12 different math activities listed (saxon math curriculum, math games, online learning sites, etc) and she would spend 10 - 15 minutes on each activity or until a certain goal had been achieved, then move on to the next activity for an hour designated the math hour. By doing all different types of activities, she doesn't get bored and experiences math in different contexts. I'm excited to set something like this up for Isabelle because, let's face it, worksheets are boring, learning 3d geometry figures on the computer doesn't work, and movement makes everybody happy.


Last week, we finished up "Little House in the Big Woods" and will move onto "Little House on the Prairie" this week. Isabelle is solidly reading level 2 readers and of course we have a whole basket of picture books that go along with our FIAR book.




As always, Monday is our library day, Wednesday is Park Day, and we'll be visiting friends on Friday for our standing play date. Special projects this week include making and canning applesauce, baking an apple pie, incorporating music and movement into our days, and finding constellations in the night sky. This is a combination of things I want to do and things Isabelle has talked about wanting to do.

  Why do we homeschool? Freedom!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on?

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a