Skip to main content

Little Heathens...


... is the book I am finishing up this morning. And I am compelled to share this paragraph from the epilogue:

"I've only recently become aware of my good fortune in having grown up in an environment where everyone knew everyone else. In our community no one was a stranger. If we met an unfamiliar face on the way to the Farmers Store, we offered a greeting because we knew that person had to be a guest in the house of someone we knew. We were privileged to live with the comforting conviction that we had absolutely nothing to fear from people. Of course, we were quite aware that there were dangerous forces and conditions over which we had no control, but we were confident that no person was out to do us injury. This atmosphere created in us a sense of security, a sense of belonging in the world. Is there a more valuable gift than that?"

We, here in the US, are constantly on the lookout for the bad to happen. Bad courts us through the media all day long. And it has made us a fearful culture. We make so many of our decisions from a position of fear rather than love. 

How many of your neighbors do you know? We've unlearned to be neighborly. Being neighborly doesn't mean being best friends with all your neighbors, but it does mean being friendly. You don't have to like them, but you can be kind. And if you did know all your neighbors, wouldn't that make your neighborhood better? safer? more welcoming? And isn't that where we all want to live?



I am going over and over this in my own mind. How do we change our society? Can society be changed? Am I foolish to believe we can once again live in a non-fear based society?

Well, while some may call me foolish, I do believe we can move away from so fear-based, and the first step is to control the media/news inputs into our homes. Most of what is reported in the news has no direct influence on the decision-making in my home anyway.

Second step is to stop believing that most people I don't know may be out to get me, my children, my stuff. This is what the news would have me believe, and it's just not true. Let's say, for the sake of conversation that only 5% of the people I don't know are out to get me. Now it's just a numbers game that I can turn in my favor by doing the third step.

Third step is meet and greet more people! A cheery hello given to the shopkeeper, person I meet on the sidewalk, parent at the school is all it takes to make a connection. It could be the first step toward a friendship or it may just be a cheery hello given away at no charge. Either way, it's cost me nothing and it's helped to build a better community.

What else would you add to my list?

Cheers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

I'm in the pillowcase business!

Part of being a stay at home mom and making sustainable living choices is keeping expenses down, but the other part is to increase the income, too.  And working from home allows me to develop multiple small income avenues rather than just going after the one big avenue of income. With that in mind, I've been brainstorming, trying to come up with a project for the cold winter months.  I've kicked around various crochet ideas, but was truly inspired when I came across the idea of making custom pillowcases. Here are some photos of the one I whipped up this morning specifically so I could take photos to promote this new business venture. Isn't that a lovely pillowcase?  I can't wait to share with you all the pillowcases I have planned! Come spring, I'll add chickens, well eggs, as another avenue.  And of course the garden will go in which will reduce our food spending in a big way. What small avenues of income are you working on?