Skip to main content

My Winter Thrift Store Capsule Wardrobe

Choosing what to wear can be so difficult. Nothing matches. I have too much to choose from. I have nothing to wear. There has to be a better, simpler way. Am I right?

I've decided to go the capsule wardrobe route and finally, I am very happy with what I'm wearing. Although it was a rocky road getting here. I've had WAY too many clothes. And I've had (in my own mind) not enough clothes, clothes that don't match, clothes which were bought randomly, and clothes others told me look great. I've even tried the "I'll just wear scrubs at home since I'm a sahm" collection. And finally, I've put together a collection of clothes that are me. I love my capsule wardrobe.

Last autumn, I took $30 and headed out to the thrift stores with an idea of the look I wanted to create for myself, in a word - layers. And came home with these 4 outfits that I rotate through each week.

Boring?

No, not me! This is a simple raspberry short-sleeve tshirt under a long-sleeve button up casual blouse over black slacks. 
At home, I am company-ready, and no need to take time to change clothes when I it's time to go to town.

Outfit #2 --

Tangerine short-sleeve tshirt under a long-sleeve light denim button up casual shirt over off-white slacks. And let me just add.... we do not have a full-length mirror, so this is the first time I've seen these slacks.... and I will be doing some tailoring this afternoon.  I did not know they fit this poorly. Live and learn, right?!
Upon further viewing, I have decided these slacks will be donated back to the thrift store and a new-to-me pair of black slacks will take their place. Black goes with all my winter tops.

Outfit #3 --


What's a winter wardrobe without a long-sleeved turtleneck in the mix? And it was time to take a break from the blues that I usually wear anyway.


And Outfit #4 --


I do love blue. And plaid. 

And did you notice that I wear the same earrings with every outfit? Yes. I do. It's called keep-it-simple. My ears are double-pierced so I wear a pair of opal studs in the upper holes with dangly earrings in the lower. I guess you could say it's my signature look.

Is four outfits enough? Well, for me it is. I'm not out digging ditches or slopping hogs so I don't get really really dirty in my day-to-day activities -- cleaning, cooking, crafting, etc. And I hang my clothes between wearings so it's not like they're mashed down in a hamper where no air circulates through. And every outfits is washed after two wearings.

It's simple. It's comfortable. It's stylish. It's my winter, thrift store, capsule wardrobe. 
Are you happy with your wardrobe? What changes would you like to make?
Let me know in the comments.

Peace -- Ann




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Homeschooling and Field Trips

After reading Homeschool Adventures: Learning through Field Trips by Melissa Calaap, I knew field trips were going to be a regular part of our homeschool journey. Hands-on learning, experiences, talking with people on site.. that is where deep learning happens. And honestly, field trips were the best days of my own public school experience. Hello Ft Wayne Children's Zoo, Amish Acres, and Cotton Bowl Parade. My local homeschool community regularly organized park days, the occasional trip to the museum, IMAX movie, and other one-off meet-ups, but there wasn't a regular set pattern of field trips on the caliber of what I was looking for. So I had a decision to make. Did I sit and wait for others to create the opportunities I was looking for or did I do it myself? Now, coming from the public school background I came from, my first inclination was to wait for others to come up with the idea and organize it. I mean that's how it worked at the schools, right? In fact, the school a

So Much Stuff

We live in a world of SO MUCH stuff. It's overwhelming just how much stuff there is in our world, at least in the US part of the world. Yesterday, I had a couple of hours to kill, and because my husband and I have decided we would prefer to furnish our home with antiques, I decided to take a walk through the local antiques mall. The antiques mall is in an old building downtown that used to be a JCPenney, so if you're familiar with the JCPenney stores of the 1970s and before, you'll know what I mean when I say it's big, really big, as in 3 floors of stalls of antiques. And the antiques range as far as they can from crochet-edged hankies to pyrex bowls to cast iron hand pumps to hoosier cupboards. Truly, if you're looking for a specific item, and you're willing to spend the time, you'll find it in this store. So much stuff.  Most of it just sits there, collecting dust. Like wall-hanging thread holder which I first spotted the first time I w

Learning about Home Education and Homeschooling

What is home ed? How does homeschooling work? Will my kids be behind? How do I choose a curriculum? Will my kids have friends? and more are all questions that get asked when parents start looking into home education for their children. So where is the place to go to get all this information? Where is the best place to learn about the topic of homeschool? My friend, there is not one place to go. There just isn't because home ed is as varied and individualized as the families that choose it. And even within families with multiple children, it varies. And that is one of the many, many benefits of home ed. So where to start?  And that, I can help you with. There are many, many resources for learning about home ed and they come in different media, so go with works for you, for where you are right now. And later, once you know a bit, then push yourself into something less comfortable. FILMS Class Dismissed -  http://classdismissedmovie.com/ Self Taught -  https://www.selftaughtmovie.com